Database system architecture:
- Data Abstraction,
- Data Independence,
- Data Definition Language (DDL),
- Data Manipulation Language (DML)
- Entity-relationship model,
- network model,
- relational and object oriented data models,
- integrity constraints,
- data manipulation operations.
Relational query languages:
- Relational algebra,
- Tuple and domain relational calculus,
- SQL3, DDL and DML constructs,
- Open source and Commercial DBMS – MYSQL, ORACLE, DB2, SQL server.
Relational database design:
- Domain and data dependency,
- Armstrong’s axioms,
- Normal forms,
- Dependency preservation,
- Lossless design.
Query processing and optimization:
- Evaluation of relational algebra expressions,
- Query equivalence,
- Join strategies,
- Query optimization algorithms.
- Concurrency control,
- ACID property,
- Serializability of scheduling,
- Locking and timestamp based schedulers,
- Multi-version and optimistic Concurrency Control schemes,
- Database recovery.
- Authorization and access control,
- DAC, MAC and RBAC models,
- Intrusion detection,
- SQL injection.
- Object oriented and object relational databases,
- Logical databases,
- Web databases,
- Distributed databases